Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Late last night about 11pm the decision was made to take Witt off the ventilator. He did well through the night but early this morning he took a turn for the worse. Around 6am Witt started fussing. His osat dropped and stayed down. His breathing became increasingly more labored. The doctors were called and the decision was made to give him more diuretic and watch him. Witt still remains off the ventilator but it is still touch and go. The doctor wants to give him every chance to remain off the vent but also knows that Witt could require it at any second. Most of us will never know what it's like to have a crash cart sitting at the end of our baby's bed in case it is needed. Melanie and Austan have lived through many of these kinds of situations. Right now they are both very tired and yet tomorrow afternoon they will meet with Dr. Morales and hear his opinion about replacing the mitral valve. One cardiologist said today that some of them don't think surgery is a good idea...that it might not help...Witt might not even survive...or if he does he might never be able to come off the ventilator. Please continue to pray for God's will. Continue to pray for Mel and Austan as they make decisions. Please pray that right now God is holding all three of them in a very real and practical way that is felt!