Thursday, March 12, 2009
TESTS AND A DECISION!
Witt is continuing to improve! His oxygen is now turned all the way down to 1/4 and his saturation is 99-100!!! What this indicates is that his lungs are getting better. Tomorrow holds several things. The first is a blood test to measure the carbon dioxide levels. This number should be in the 40's and Witt's so far has been in the 70's. The doctor is just hoping it will be in the 60's...even high 60's. God sure could grab some attention, attention that He already is worthy of regardless, by having that number come back significantly lower! That's my prayer...a low number and high praise! The praise will be here no matter the test results! The second is a lung x-ray. It has been several days since Witt has had the tube and not aspirating. Hopefully this too will show significant change. If these do show change it would be a pretty good indicator that the aspirating was contributing significantly if not the only cause to the remaining lung disease. The final major thing that will take place tomorrow is that Melanie and Austan will meet with the surgeon who would put the feeding tube in should they choose to do this. The procedure itself is relatively simple but once again it would involve Witt being completely sedated and intubated. Witt would go from the surgery to the PICU and remain intubated for 24 hours then they would try to get him off. This is a scary decision for Melanie and Austan to make. Please pray that God reveal His decision to them however He deems!! Melanie is concerned about the timing since Witt's lungs are still an issue. Witt could go home with the feeding tube in his nose and come back in a few weeks but the attending doctor strongly recommends he get it now. The doctors would like a decision as soon as possible. I would like God's decision in His perfect timing!!!